Sunday 22 January 2012

Potato & Chorizo Fritatta with spicy bravas sauce

I'm in a quandary... trying to juggle my need for post-excess healthy eating with the urge for winter comfort food to keep the cold out. My answer so far is to have a little of what I like along with a huge salad that threatens to take over my plate (and hope that I'm not still hungry at the end of the meal), oh and to swap wine for gin and tonic.... less of a healthy lifestyle change and more of a necessary calorie reduction.

Fritatta can be a very healthy option packed with spinach and tomatoes and beans (next week's plan) and although potatoes and chorizo will never be the healthiest choice of filling, it addresses my need for a bone-sticking, warming, comforting meal that leaves me feeling fuller longer.

Crispy on top, meltingly tender inside with a spicy tomato salsa drizzled over, this satisfies all my january needs.
This fritatta makes 4 regular portions or 6 small (slightly more diet conscious and frugal) ones



Potato & Chorizo Fritatta with spicy bravas sauce

2 large baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
75g chorizo sausage, chopped into small cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
5 eggs
2 tablespoons of skimmed milk

Boil the potatoes for around 5 mins until just cooked, then drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large, deep, ovenproof frying pan and fry the chorizo for 4-5 mins until the oil turns orange.
Add the potatoes and fry for 1 min with the chorizo.
Whisk the eggs and milk together and add to the pan, stir gently to distribute the eggs around the potatoes and chorizo.
Cook over a low heat for five minutes until the fritatta starts to set then finish under a hot grill till golden brown and set on top.

Bravas Sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp paprika 
1/2 tsp chilli powder


Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato purée, paprika and chilli powder and bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer for 10 minutes until thick.

Serve the fritatta with a little sauce and a green salad. 

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to your quandary! I like your solutions--mega salad plus G&T, DEFINITELY the way forward. Along with this frittata! I should make it today, it sounds too yummy...

    ReplyDelete